Sunday 27 March 2016

Mulitpersonality pigments - PV19

As people become more aware of the pigments in the paint they are using, they start to notice that there are a number of pigments that crop up in completely different coloured paints.
PV19 - pink and rose to crimson to violet
PB36 - turquoise and teal to greenish blue
PR101 - transparent burnt orange to granulating burnt orange to earthy red to very opaque earthy red
and
PBr7 - yellow earth to warm orange browns to dark orange browns to dark cool browns
- are some of the most schizophrenic!

Have a look at the PBr7 and PR101 section in this page of my website and you'll see what I mean. Some pigments cover a small range of colours, like PB29 Ultramarine,  but others seem to cover a very large range not only of hue but also of characteristics. I'll look at PV19 here.

PV19 has a more rose version and a more violet version, though it also appears as a crimson (Alizarin Crimson Quinacridone by Da Vinci) and a dusky pink (rose Madder Permanent Hue by Art Spectrum.) Generally speaking, the more rose version will be called a Quinacridone rose/permanent rose colour where the more violet version will be called Quinacridone Violet or perhaps a magenta or mauve, but it does make it a little difficult to choose a colour based on pigments alone. As always, you need to look at the brand and the name to be sure of what you are getting.




I love Quinacridone Rose as an excellent 'primary' red. It mixes beautiful purples with any blue, especially ultramarine, but also mixes pretty oranges and reds with a yellow. I find the Quinacridone Violet colour less useful as you can make a violet by adding a little blue to the rose, though you can't make a pink by starting with the violet. 

The crimson hues made with PV19 are also useful to consider in a limited palette - Alizarin Crimson (quinacridone) by Da Vinci for example is a more crimson red, but still mixes nice purples and oranges.






8 comments:

  1. Thanks for another very useful post on colour. It's a good reminder that all pigments aren't created equal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for all the wonderful posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a plastic palette with 18 slots lots of mixing space. I can also dot some colours that I do not need 1/2 pan for.
    I have a hot press watercolour sketchbook made by Moleskin. Mostly pen/ pencil with colour washes is my plan to Florence Cinque Terre and Florence.You can tell by my question I am new to this.
    **HELP** What 18 colours should I bring. I leave the 15th of Sept this year on my birthday.THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a look at this page of my website and you'll see a Mijello palette set up with 18 colours. You can use this to paint anywhere. Happy travels. https://www.janeblundellart.com/palettes.html

      Delete
  4. Hi Jane, I just wanted to double check whether the brand abbreviation ‘M.G’ stands for M Graham or Mission Gold. Many thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! DS Quin Rose & Quin Violet (both PV19 on their tubes) were about to drive me nuts!
    I didn't know if I could sub Q.Violet for Q.Rose in my "Cool/Warm" limited palette, but your statement, "you can't make a pink by starting with the violet" made it perfectly clear!).
    Off to the store I go to get some Quin Rose! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m fairly new to watercolor and have bought additional tubes here and just because I liked them in the store. Now I was looking and sure enough I have THREE that are labeled PV19 - Red Violet by Van Gogh, Permanent Rose by Cotman, and Phtalo Red by Grumbacher. Now that I know about pigments I’ll be more selective. And for what I paid for three lesser quality tubes bought on impulse I could have instead bought artist quality Daniel Smith. Lessons learned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My 8-color pallette came with Schmincke Horadam permanent carmine. I wanted to swap it out because I couldn't get a vibrant pink, so I chose Ruby Red just to find that they are BOTH PV19 and that they are so similar, but there's simething undefinably different about the ruby... it's objectively better for my limited pallette, but I can't put my finger on exactly what is different.

    I'm also swapping in cobalt cerulean because Ican't seem to get a diluted tone anywhere close from my ultramarine (PV36) and feeling like I might need to switch to heliocerulean for my limited pallette. The granulation is cool but not always desirable. I wish I could put my finger on the differences. The ruby is just more primary, I think, so it is, itself, a bit more vibrant and the resulting mixes are as well.

    ReplyDelete