Saturday 13 July 2013

Plein air in the snow

A snow gum in Thredbo village. Handbook sketchbook.
I spent the week at the Snowy Mountains and only skied a couple of days, leaving time for some reading and sketching. My fingers got a bit cold but really the weather was stunning.


I took a few sketchbooks with me, including one I have had for a long time but not used so much made by Global art and bought in New York in 2007! It's the A5 landscape format that I love the paper is a little cream rather than white. It worked nicely though for the tree on the left.



I did a few sketches in my newish Stillman & Birn Alpha pocket sketchbook - at about A6 it is the smallest in their range. It takes pen, pencil and washes very well so is lovely as a take everywhere sketch/note book.

I also had my favourite A5 Moleskine Watercolour sketchbook with me, in the lovely landscape format that is so versatile for plein air sketching.

Friday Flats, Snowy Mountains. Stillman&Birn alpha pocket sketch book.

View from a cafe. Alpha&Birn pocket sketch book.

A gorgeous snowgum on the property where we stayed, painted in my favourite A5 landscape Moleskine watercolour sketchbook.
I'd like to see a Stillman & Birn Beta in that format. The Beta is great paper for watercolour - just a bit thicker and more textured than the alpha. I wonder if they make it?

No comments:

Post a Comment