Sunday 19 March 2017

New Daniel Smith Watercolours




New Daniel Smith colours. Photo from Daniel Smith (http://www.danielsmith.com/content--id-871)

It takes a little while for new colours to arrive in Australia but here they are - the new Daniel Smith colours released in 2017.

Daniel Smith Aussie Red Gold, Rose Madder Permanent (note this also has PR202), Quinacridone Lilac and Wisteria.

I've photographed my painted swatches but getting accurate colour reproduction is not easy. The Aussie Red Gold is more orange than it looks here - rather like a PY110 yellow - you can see it better in the photograph above. It's a lovely 3-pigment mixed orange-yellow that really glows. It uses the same pigments as the Art Spectrum Australian Red Gold. It creates extraordinary greens when mixed with blues - I've shown some mixes in little videos on Instagram (Janeblundellart)

The Rose Madder Permanent, Quinacridone Lilac and Wisteria are more accurate in this photo. Genuine Rose Madder NR9 is a lovely gentle granulating rose colour, but it fades. The DS hue mimics the soft value range of the original colour, using a mix of three pigments - PR209, PV19 and PR202 (I've labelled it incorrectly on my swatch).

Quinacridone Lilac PR122 is known as Quinacridone Magenta in many brands, Purple Magenta in Schmincke, as is a very welcome DS colour by all those who like to work with a CYM palette is PR122 is a fabulous primary red. It painted out beautifully. While I prefer to use Quinacridone Rose for the job of mixing gorgeous purples, I am really glad to see this pigment in the DS range.

Wisteria is made with PR122 and white.


Daniel Smith Lavender, Raw Sienna Light, Burnt Sienna LIght and Payne's Blue Grey.
Lavender is a popular mix available from other ranges. Some use cobalt, DS uses ultramarine, along with a violet pigment and white.

Raw Sienna Light is a single pigment PY42 yellow earth. It looks a little warmer in the flesh than this painted sample. (See photo above again)

Burnt Sienna Light is a mix of PR101 and PO48 - transparent red oxide and quinacridone burnt orange. It was released as part of the Alvaro set in 5ml tubes but is now available in the larger 15ml tubes.  It looks a little more earthy in real life than this photo.

Payne's Blue Grey is fairly accurate in hue. It uses the same mix of pigments as DS Indigo - Indanthrone Blue and black. Many Payne's greys are made with Phthalo blue and a black pigment.

New colours are always fun to explore. Happy painting :-)



8 comments:

  1. I bought the Quin Lilac and Rose Madder Permanent as the rest are mixes that I can mix myself. Love the Lavendar and Wisteria.

    I really like the Quin Lilac as I've been hoping for a good magenta and none of the other D.S. colors really pleased me. I was going to buy the Schmincke until Daniel Smith released this. I may be substituting this into my palette in place of the Quin Rose, I haven't decided yet.

    The Rose Madder Permanent is three pigments: PR 209 Quinacridone Yellow Red, PV 19 Quinacridone Red, PR 202 Quinacridone Magenta. I think it is still too pink.I think it lacks that slightly coral undertone. I've looked into mixing just a tad of Quin Gold but I still haven't hit it just right but am close. Closer than when I was trying to mix my own from scratch. I may try it with a tiny bit of some of the other yellows.

    I was working with Rhodonite so there would be granulation and some lifting. I tried mixing in a bit of Monte Amiata and then tried it with a tad of Verona Gold but I never got it quite right.

    I like the look of the Raw Sienna light and may try that next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does rather depend which version of a rose madder you start with - the DS or the W&N as they are very different. I'll show them both in my next blog post.
      I am also pleased that DS now has a PR122. I have that pigment in just about every brand as I was using it as my cool red, but since I almost always have a crimson, I switched to Quin Rose simply because I prefer the colour on its own - I see more 'rose' colour in the world than 'magenta' colour so it made more sense to me as a cool red. Whether magenta is better for you may also depend whether you use phthalo green BS or YS - PR122 neutralises with YS.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that info on the PhthGr.

      I wanted to try a stripped down palette of CYM but couldn't find three I liked. I think with the PR122 I can now. I want to use it to mix with rather than a straight color.

      The Rose Madder Genuine I've been using as a control is Schmincke as that was the only one I could get at the time. I think I may have a small half pan of vintage W&N in rose madder genuine but I'd have to look. Tonight I played a bit and I think I have something I like by adding just a tiny bit of Permanent Yellow Deep. I'll work out some proportions later. It doesn't quite granulate like the RMG but it does appear to lift OK.

      I may still play with the primateks and see if I can come up with something using rhodonite as a base but for now, I'm happy to have the new PR122 and Rose Madder Permanent.

      Do you happen to know if the new Raw Sienna Light makes a green when mixed with blue? I seem to recall you (or someone) saying that for sunset skies using Raw Sienna instead of Yellow Ochre would prevent the sky turning green. I really like the new Raw Sienna Light but not if it's going to go green in my sky when it hits a bit of blue.

      Delete
    3. Raw Sienna Light will go greenish - it is a yellow pigment after all. Not a strong green, but greenish - I have posted a photo up on Instagram and you can see the greenish greys or greyish greens. If you use a raw sienna made with a PBr7 raw sienna pigment it will tend to go grey rather than green - certainly that's what DS raw sienna does with ultramarine.

      Delete
    4. The only Schmincke Rose Madder I have is the hue - I'd be interested in what the Schmincke genuine version looks like compared with the W&N and the DS - I didn't know they even made one!

      Delete
    5. I bought it a few years ago, possibly from the UK or even amazon.de I don't remember, but I believe it may have been old stock. It is a whole pan, not a tube. Compared to the new Daniel Smith Rose Madder Permanent it has a warmer tone with maybe the slightest orange in comparison, but only slight. It also granulates nicely. I'll look to see if I have anything else that is genuine rose madder. I've bought a few vintage palettes off the internet, some with paints inside. I know I lucked into a few older New Gamboge, probably PY153, but don't remember on the rose madder. They would all be whole or half pans, no tubes.

      I'll make some swatches of what I find and put a post on my blogspot and leave you a link. Can't guarantee true colors what with the internet and monitors but you can at least compare across.

      All I can say is that while the new Daniel Smith permanent version is very pretty, it lacks that slight yellow/orange undertone that the genuine has and the granulation. To me it just seems to be a colder pink than the real thing.

      Delete
    6. Have a look at my next post with the DS Rose Madder Genuine and the W&N Rose Madder Genuine - so different!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful colours and u have done so many swatches of most of the brands it is a bench mark for me to choose colours from ur blog . . .

    ReplyDelete